All severe storms have the power to cause severe damage to our roofs. Roofs nowadays are made using durable and long-lasting materials, but this does not mean that they cannot be susceptible to damages, especially storm damage.
There are two things which can cause massive damage to your roof when it comes to a severe storm, hail and wind damage. While wind has the power to rip off your roof and knock-over trees on your house, hail can severely crack and damage your roofing system as well.
In fact, hail can damage your roof to the extent where it’s essential for you to get a repair or even an entire roof replaced. It’s vital to note that just because there was a hail storm does not mean your roof has hail damage.
Nevertheless, it’s vital to know if you have any hail storm damage on your roof so that you can get it replaced or repaired as soon as possible. So, how can we tell if there is hail damage on our roof?
There are a few ways to determine if a hailstorm damaged your roof:
- Checking your roof: if you wish to find out about any damage from a hail storm on your roof, you will have to physically get on your roof. Check to find any cracks, bruising, or dents in your roof, along with all the missing pieces.
- Checking the exterior of your home: for DFW homeowners who don’t feel comfortable climbing on their roof, you can always check the exterior of your home for any damages. You can check to find any cracks or dents and any signs of impact on your gutters, siding, windows, and doors.
- Checking your AC unit is another way to see if your house has any hail damage by inspecting your AC’s outdoor unit. Look for any impacts or dents on the unit that was not there before.
- Checking your car: in case your vehicle was not inside the garage during the hailstorm, check to see if there are any dents on its surface.
What does a hail storm do to a roof?
The damage that a hailstorm can inflict on your roofing varies depending on how intense the storm was and how big the hail was.
A lot of homeowners ask, “what size of hail will cause damage to a roof?” and though the size of hail plays a crucial part in the severity of the damage, the length of the hailstorm, as well as the type of your roofing, can also determine the scale and severity of the damage.
Anything more significant than Quarter-sized hail can inflict damage to your roof. Due to the size and the force at which the hail comes down, it can really impact your home’s roof.
Does hail damage cause roof leaks?
Many homeowners ask if a roof can start leaking after a hailstorm has impacted it and the answer to that question is yes. If the hail storm is big and comes down with enough force, it can cause cracks and dents on your roofing system, which will later develop leaks.
If you cannot notice any physical signs of damage on your property after the storm, but you start to see water formation on the ceiling and walls of your home, you need to get your roof repaired for any leaks and other damages caused by the storm.
Is hail storm damaged roof covered by insurance?
In order to ensure that your roof is covered against any hail damage, you need to contact your insurance provider right away. There are a few factors that are taken into consideration when it comes to your insurance policy.
Usually, they are the age of your roof and the area where you live. Ideally, when a hail storm has damaged your roof, it should be covered by your policy.
While the policy may cover the damage, there are various aspects of your roof that might determine how much of the total damage will be covered.
Another thing that you need to consider is that when it comes to the roof’s insurance policy if your roof starts to leak, your insurance company would want to make sure that these leaks are caused by hail and not lack of repairs or maintenance.
If the company finds out that the leaks are caused by inadequate maintenance or repair, they will not cover any replacement or repairs cost.
If you are a homeowner, you must take care of your roof since it provides protection to your most valuable investments: your home.
At Summit Roof, we can help!
Our versatility and professionalism enable us to repair all types of roof damage in Allen, TX. Be it a dent, leak, or a few loose shingles, our professionals from Summit Roof will have your home’s roof repaired in no time.
Call us today at 972-715-1655, and we will put your mind at ease with a well-conditioned and good quality roof. Check out our other blogs to know more about roofs and how to take care of them.
Not sure if you have roof damage?
- 5 year transferable on installation of complete roof
- 30-50 year manufacturer warranty depending on product